Friday, July 04, 2014

Happy Fourth!

My patriotic Ace&Jig dress

Happy Fourth of July!

We're gearing up for our trip to Toledo by way of Detroit next weekend. Speaking of curation, I'm excited to see SANAA's Glass Pavilion, especially since one of my students is writing about it. I've really enjoyed the discussion on Assembled Hazardly. If you can separate these questions from capitalism and neoliberalism--obviously I have a hard time doing this--I find we're all concerned with making sense of our place in the world.

This week marks three years since we left America, and it also marks my disengagement with a lot of the activities that used to define my sense of self. It has been both liberating and profoundly unsettling. It has also forced me to ask better questions about how my work (teaching+research) is embedded in my daily life.

Stay safe and enjoy the holiday weekend, friends.

3 comments:

L.P. said...

I, too, have been very interested in the discussion at Assembled Haphazardly. I'd love to hear more about how your time out of the U.S. Has changed your perspective.

Jade said...

erica, thanks for linking to amanda's blog! since she doesn't write as frequently, i don't check as often. fascinating, deep, soul-searching stuff. i also would be really interested in hearing how your canada experience has changed how you define your sense of self.

Sarge in Charge said...

Ahh, sad you can't make your trip! The Toledo Museum is surprisingly impressive (my Grandma lived there and was an active member).